France Visa Services

France is one of the biggest European countries with rich culture and great value for human rights. France has colorful records as one of the first global superpowers, and has long played an active role in global affairs. France is the largest country in the Western Europe. Euro (EUR) is the official currency of France. French is official language of France. There are various reasons for your visit to France as it is a place of opportunities for international talents and their families when dealing with the following administrative formalities:

  • Work permit visa
  • Residence permit
  • Social protection
  • Taxation
  • Daily life aspects for finding accommodation, schooling, etc.

France is an origin member state of the European Union and the Schengen area so before proceeding further we need to understand that if you are an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen then you don’t need to apply for a French visa or residence permit. Although, you may apply for an EU-citizen residence card if you wish so and vice-versa depending upon your current citizenship, a visa is required when planning to travel to France. All visas must be applied for prior to departure at the nearest French Embassy or French Consulate in the applicant’s country of residence.

Visa is needed to whom to enter France?

Not every alien and not every state of France applies the same visa policy. As such, visa exceptionally are greatly leveraged by divergent factors, where the major ones are: alien’s citizenship, the state of the France that the applicant seeks to visit, alien’s residence status in Schengen Area or precisely in France, the purpose of visit, as well as duration of stay. France also hosts many aliens from Spain and Italy and many immigrants from Algeria and Morocco, in addition to the other former French colonies in North Africa.

Currently, there are no business immigration programs to visit to France; however, it may be little difficult to acquire a residence permit in France due to the strict immigration policies. There is a significant variation in French law between a simple Visa and a long stay or a residence permit, also known as Stay Document. Undoubtedly, long stay Visa is required for any person who wants to apply for a Stay Document. Applicant has to continue by submitting an application with all supporting documents to a French Consular authority and receive an approval to travel to France. For the nationals of an Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) member states and the U.S.A. resident, however, long stay visa is not required to stay in France for a time period up to 90 days, but the for the period of short stays up to 90 days, a visa will be required.

Study in France

The French educational system consists of three stages: primary education, secondary education, and higher education so in order to come and study in France, students from outside countries of Europe must need a student visa and be in possession of a passport. Most French fundamental, secondary schools, and many universities are public institutions that have extremely centralized administrations. The educational program at primary and secondary schools are regulated across all schools for a given grade. For those students from Europe member countries, an identity card is sufficient. Every year, the enrolment period for the international students is between 1st December and 31st January. If you are planning to enroll for a course, find out more information from the cultural service of the French embassy in your country and from Centres. The status of admission is different depending on your citizenship, your country of residence and the nature of your studies.

Work Permit in France

If you want to move to France for work-related projects, you may need to apply for a French visa depending on your country of origin. The different types of visas and work permits you can apply for are dependent on your exact purpose of entry and length of stay in the country, among other things. There are many work permit and employment visa types for displaced persons who want to work in France depending on their situations. This division will touch on some of the different work permits and visas that are most applicable for professional workers.

For EU and EEA citizen there is no requirement of work permit to take up employment in France. You not need to obtain a work permit if you are a foreign employee who will work for less than three months in the following fields:

  • Seminars and business conferences and trade programs.
  • IT consulting, audit, finance, management, insurance, architecture, and engineering, under conditions of a service agreement or intra-company transfer agreement.
  • Personal assisting workers and private workers working in France during their private employers’ stay in the country.
  • Teaching by invited lecturers.
  • Modeling, cinematic related audiovisual works, shows, and recordings artistic posing.
  • Cultural, artistic, sporting, and scientific events.

You are exempted if you are the spouse of a French citizen, parent of a French child, or close family member of a French employee in occupation of a temporary private and family life residence permit. Otherwise, non-EU citizens usually need a work permit, no matter your length of stay. The only exception is that if you are in occupation of a long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit visa or residence permit. These visas also count as a work permit.

Types of Work Permits

Your work permit for France is mainly need a job offer, the length of your contract, and even what you will do for a living. If you come under Talent Passport category, you may not required a work contract to qualify.

Talent Passport Permit

Talent Passport Permit is intended for non-EU citizens to live and work in France. It includes the following categories:

  • Skilled graduate.
  • Innovative company employee.
  • Extraordinarily skilled worker (EU Blue Card holders).
  • Employee need for mission related with a French work contract.
  • Company counselor.
  • Financial investor.
  • Scientist/Researcher.
  • Performer/Artist.
  • International noted person in sports, arts, literature, education, science, etc.

Above all this permit allows 4 years renewable residence permit which approximately costs 269 EUR (320 USD) and it can be extended to immediate family members so that your family member receive resident permits allowing them to work and live in France too.. You may be qualified applicant for the talent passport permit as described above if your job devotes to France’s economic allure. With this visa, no further work permit is needed.

French Work Visas

List below are some of the employment-based visas available for France that a professional expatriate can apply along with applicable work visa cost and needs for France.

Short-Stay Work Visa

This is issued to alien worker who expect to work for less than 90 days in France. For EU/EEA/Switzerland nationals this visa is not needed. If you are from Antigua, Barbuda and Bahamas, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Israel, Mauritius, Mexico, Japan, Singapore, St Kitts and Nevis, Seychelles, US, South Korea, or Venezuela, you do not need a visa either. Yet work permit filed by your employer is still essential for you to lawfully work in France.

Long-Term Work Visa

For non-EU/EEA/Switzerland nationals with stay that exceeds 90 days, you will need to apply for a long-stay visa. This visa will be becoming to your specific reason and duration of stay. Worker who apply for this visa and have family members coming with them can have their employer start with family member procedure at the same time as the worker’s application. This visa can be issued for a variation including various work-related purposes.

Business Visa

You will need to have below mentioned documents in order to apply for a French visa for business purposes:

  • French company’s invitation letter with their address and the dates of your visit
  • Previous trade relations proof between both companies if relevant
  • Last six months’ business bank statements
  • Certificate from your employer allowing your business tour
  • Trade License (issued and renewed)
  • Proprietorship/Partnership agreement documents
  • Article of Association and Memorandum in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies).

Self-Employment Visa

Self-employed worker in France will be issued the long-stay visa equivalent to a visa long séjour valant titre de séjour “étudiant” (VLS/TS) residence permit. The self-employment visa will carry the statement “professional/entrepreneur libérale” (self-employed liberal profession). This visa must be approved within 15 days of your landing into France, after which it is valid for almost 1 year and it can be renewed.

Following documents are needed for self-employed visa:

  • Passport
  • Business license copy
  • Income Tax Return proof
  • Full application form
  • Last six months company bank statements
  • Accommodation proof
  • Medical insurance proof
  • Letter mentioning your self-employment activities and what you propose to do
  • Clear criminal record

Business Setup

For business setup you must be able to testify to the economic activity of your proposed business/project. You must meet specific requirements to setup a business that your qualification and ability to run it with abundant capital to invest into. Approximately 30,000 EUR (35,500 USD) investment in the new business is needed, and you need to have somewhat a master’s degree or be able to show minimum 5 years of professional work experience. If you match with above mentioned conditions you will be allowed a long-stay visa carrying the statement. If you are staying for under 1 year, then you will be given a long-stay visa, equivalent to a visa long séjour valant titre de séjour “étudiant” (VLS/TS) residence permit, carrying the statement passeport talent.


Minimum 300,000 EUR (350,500 USD) or own minimum 10% of the company you are committed to, and plan to create jobs within 4 years following investment is needed to allow for this category. They must also be investing directly or via a company in which they have at least a 30% share. Investor will be allowed a long-stay visa carrying the statement “passeport talent” “investisseur économique” (Skilled residence permit – Investor), valid for 4 years. If you are staying for under 1 year, you will just be given a long-stay visa, equivalent to a (VLS/TS) residence permit, carrying the statement “passeport talent”.

Permanent Residency

Permanent residency card in France are also known as Carte de Résident (CR) with validity of 10 which is renewable, but in case any reason if you leave France continuously more than two years then you will lose permanent resident status. After 5 years, you have the chance to apply for the EU long-term resident card. This is for applicants who have the European Blue Card. This is also a renewable card, valid for up to 10 years.

Family Visa

In association to the temporary residency permit, non-French, non-EU, and non-EEA citizens with family ties to a French resident can be applied for the Carte de Sejour for Private and family life. This temporary residency permit grants family members to work which is valid for up to 1 year and it is renewable. This is also issued directly to family members of working expatriates under the “Talent Passport” permit. In association to the permanent residency permit, the CR is also applicable for spouses of French citizens or parents of a French-born child. It allows family members to work and it is valid for 10 years and also renewable.

  • Satisfactory funds support
  • Family member must have been living in France for minimum of 18 months (12 for Algerians) and had a valid 1 year residence permit.
  • Sufficient conformity for you in France

Lawful immigration

All the requirements provided within French law need to be fulfilled in order to visit France lawfully. The main law authorities for the immigration of non-EU citizens in France, is the Code of Entry and Stay of Aliens and Asylum in France. There are certain options, depending on what purpose your visit is? Foreign French Ministry/Authorities is responsible for receiving, hearing visa applications and issuing approvals; however, in order to successfully apply for a visa you need to submit to the very specific Ministry, responsible for your country of residence.

Generally, French authorities have been very protective toward their domestic labor force and measure taken to put much constitutional interference in the way of companies wishing to recruit alien workers. However, in recent years the scenario has been changed a while due to lacks of professional especially in IT field which affected the performance of many French companies.


As per experienced and qualified team, Phoenix Area Immigration Services will provide a detailed guide aimed primarily at employers wishing to hire overseas workers in France. If you are an investor, agent, worker, or as person want to migrate to France you can consult with us. Feel free to contact us or send us an email using the details below.